Friday, July 6, 2018

BOSTON VOYAGER PART II


The White Rabbit
Image from Google



I feel like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland as I was very late in responding to Boston Voyager's interview.  And I am not a fast writer.  Instead I need to write a few drafts to develop a voice.  To complete the interview I had sign on to their link and get the questions from there with boxes to fill with my reply.  I copied the 3 questions and worked on my answers separately.  Little did I know a question might change when I revisited  the site.  So I was stumped by the last "new" question and under the gun with my lateness. 

This was the last question:  

The sterotype of a starving artist scares away many potentially talented artists from pursuing art – any advice or thoughts about how to deal with the financial concerns an aspiring artist might be concerned about?

And my answer rushed and overall disappointing:

There are many challenges facing artists today as well as many more platforms to promote their work. Think about multiple streams to get paid one’s art or expertise and/or promote one’s work: teaching, blogging, social media, YouTube videos and galleries, etsy, online galleries, local art organizations, alumni events, college galleries, open studio, house party, licensing, meet-ups/networking, pop up shows. alternative spaces, interior designers, Kickstarter campaigns, mentoring etc. Also find a small supportive group of peers to help get through those challenging times.


Today I came across my draft with the answer to the original last question.  To  redeem myself I am posting part II here:   


Given everything that is going on in the world today, do you think the role of artists has changed? How do local, national or international events and issues affect your art?

I don’t think the role of artists has changed per se as artists have always seen the world through a different lens and been inventive it in sharing their vision with the world. If any thing what has changed is the ability to access art and artists on an international scale.  With our phones and social media we can travel the globe engaging with artists in different time zones.  And these platforms offer artists the world.  As the talented Pamela Zagarenski magnificently illustrated this culture on her Instragam site #sacredbee (post on May 21st),  “We are all One, each person – their own story - but together we create the whole…” 

These are challenging times and we are all affected by the national and international events.  I try not to let any of that enter the studio with me.  When I am there my phone is off and music is on.  

Another part of my job that I love is teaching painting.  I have been doing this since 2012 teaching to all ages and I am constantly inspired by the innate desire to create and be creative. Knowing this about the human spirit I don’t understand why the arts are always marginalized when it comes to financial cutbacks. I do worry about the lack of funding for art and artists locally, nationally and internationally.  School programs, artist housing, exhibition spaces and art institutions need financial aid to encourage the vitality and community the arts offer. I would love to see the Sunday talk shows inundated with painters, sculptures, photographers, printmakers etc. talking about the state of union instead of our ineffective politicians. How refreshing it would be to hear them because we know these are leaders who know how to take action, promote and revitalize communities. 




At least I get to mention that i am a huge fan of the artist Pamela Zagarenski and her inspiring work! Please check it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment