Wednesday, July 1, 2015

PAINTING MAINE



At the end of May I went up to Boothbay Harbor, Maine, for a few days to paint at the Botanical Gardens there.  It is the weekend the gardens invite artists (free admission) to come paint on their grounds.  This place is exceptional and a must see as the gardens, pathways and views are quite spectacular.

Plus having a beautiful place to paint on two gorgeous Maine days was a real treat.  The first day I found a little nook to hide away from the growing crowds visiting and paint the woods where bright colors were just emerging after a cold spring (and endless winter).




So I love painting outdoors on fair weather days and especially love painting Maine whether here (now a new favorite spot), Pemaquid or Stonington.  I continue to abstract the natural world as I see it.

The first day out though proved quite a challenge.  My jar of medium would not open, I forgot bug spray along with other essentials and setting up took longer than I planned.  But it was a good warm up for the 2nd day outing where I had the chance to paint with artist Linda Packard (there giving a sold-out 2 day workshop) and her sweet assistant Chelsea.


Chelsea makes oversized paint clothes look hip!

I will post some paintings tomorrow from my 2 days there.  Do add this garden to your list of must visit!



No comments:

Post a Comment