Tuesday, July 21, 2015

COLOR HUNGRY

This past Saturday I gave a 7 hour workshop on the graphic language of painting at Mother Brook Arts in Dedham, MA.  I was honored to have 6 talented artists  in the class.  We explored shape, line and color through exercises and viewing many artists' work.  One thing I have learned is that artists are hungry to play with color.  So this October I will teach another workshop there just exploring color expressively.  The class will be held on Saturday, October 17, 2015, from 10 AM to 5 PM.  Stay tuned as I still have to write up the class description for this session
.







Another thing I have learned and I share with all my students is the first rule of working with color.  Please get the paint out of the tube or jar and put it on paper.  What color is it really?  So today while waiting for gesso to dry I am doing just that.  I just received some new colors in acrylic from Matisse and Soho brands (Jerry's Artarama) along with some core colors from Cheap Joe's American Journey acrylics.  I can't wait to play with these new colors.  And my library of color references grows as every time I get a new tube of paint (what can be more exciting?)  - a dab is put on paper first and labeled: brand & color name.  So what color is it really in your paint tubes?  Have fun exploring!





No comments:

Post a Comment