Tuesday, January 13, 2015

2014 IN REVIEW

By now we are almost in the middle of January 2015 and maybe looking back seems like stale news. But this review is a good exercise for my direction for the new year.  I just got back to the studio last Thursday after the holiday season and other events that required my attention.




It felt a bit strange to have been away from the space for so long - a week seems like a long time.  The first day I spent just organizing supplies, cleaning up, taking inventory and reviewing unfinished work.  My second day back I did pastel studies and warm-up paintings just to get back in the groove of working.

Last year was very productive.  The plan for this year is to make my studio practice better and different.  In 2014 I had many wonderful opportunities to work with other talented artists and to show my work in new venues.  For those occasions I am very grateful. Here I hope is a brief recap.


Flirt reception @ Mother Brook Arts
photo courtesy of D Stein

2014 started out with my first curatorial experience launching the inaugural show at the brand new art organization Mother Brook Arts in Dedham, MA.

The show Flirt featured 14 well-known New England artists.  This exhibit showed over 60 pieces of art on 2 floors/2 stairwells including paintings, site-specific installations, printmaking, fiber art, photography and mixed media.

Half way thorough the planning process I was lucky to have Jeanne Williamson, artist and marketing guru join me as co-curator.  The 6-week long exhibit was well attended and received accolades from the local press and Artscope Magazine along with red dots through out the show (aka Sales!).


Installation by artist Danielle LaPointe


I can see already this review may be lengthy.  So I will break it up into smaller posts and strive to keep your interest.  Another 2014 highlight is as staff writer for The Palette Magazine.  I wrote 4 feature articles on professional artists along with a few pieces on painting technique.  This year the editors plan to put all past issues on the web and we are excited about another year working on this gem of a magazine.

More to come as a 2014 review.  And now back to the studio.  

No comments:

Post a Comment