Tuesday, October 20, 2009

HOBBY

Yesterday our tax accountant stated that I had to be in business to make money and if I showed a loss again this year my status as an artist would be considered a hobby by the IRS.  So I checked The American Hertitage Dictionary of the English Language for the definition:

"1. An occuptation, activity or interest as stamp collecting or gardening engaged in primarily for pleasure, a pastime."

This gets even better in Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary 10th Edition  (ok I need to upgrade)
"A pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation."


Just delicious!  The IRS should come up with  a more descriptive positive noun for this passion.   No wonder artists get no respect when even our goverment determines a negative value to our occupation.  And unless we make money and profit we are only doing this as a pastime.  One cannot be more present in one's work when they are creating.  I do not think I have worked harder at this to not only create a body of work, but by also working in sales, marketing, inventory control, shipping, quality control, publication and research.  A pastime?  Again Merriam Webster: "something that amuses and serves to make time pass agreeably: Diversion."   Amusing indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment