Wednesday, November 23, 2011

BLACK DRESS



Recently my husband and I tried a red wine called Little Black Dress.  The title intriqued me as did the label with no sign of a dress - just the hanger.  I have also been interested in the Spanish holiday Dia de Muertos or Day of the Dead.  There is this belief in many cultures and religions where once a year communication exists between the living and the dead.  As I have been exploring this concept along with the Catholic holiday, All Souls' Day,  I have been working on a series of  black slips that seem to morph into dresses as a continuation of my slip series. These small works are on (roughly) 10 x 10 inch square sheets of handmade paper that I get from Taos.  It is luscious paper to work with.  And the series continues to explore presence and absence.




No comments:

Post a Comment